Dec 19, 2017

Interviewed by the students of IIITM Gwalior on HR, #socialmedia

The students at IIITM Gwalior interviewed me for their atudent magazine and they've published it online on their blog.

You can go read it here.

Some excerpts I wanted to highlight.

On my social media journey:
Well I was lucky I started blogging in 2002 and I was one of the few people blogging about HR and business those days. So, it was just a circumstance of being at the right place at the right time starting off as an early business blogger. I convinced a lot of people within HR that if you take to social media, take to blogging, take to Twitter you could connect with people across the world. So, I guess that momentum from blogging to twitter and to other social media helped.  So, if you start early people know you much more and when you move to another platform they follow you into that platform. I’ve now spent more than a decade on twitter and one and a half decades on blogging. It’s just a matter of being consistent and keeping at it, trying to share something of value.

On what students should read:

Don’t discriminate, read everything, form your own opinions. I think that’s critical.

On qualities we look for when hiring people to VBeyond:

We hire recruiters and we hire engineers into recruiting roles. So, if you are an engineer and you feel that you want to try something else, if core engineering is not your cup of tea but you have knowledge of engineering, you can talk and convince a person that you have self-confidence and are willing to work hard and earn a lot of money if you are successful then this is it.